RDN's Blog Banner

RDN's Blog Banner

Monday, August 25, 2014

Scent - A poem inspired by a kittens reaction

Scent

Oh scent from where did you come?
Fear and terror fill me now,
Memories of hiding and climbing over stuff
My eyes still closed I couldn’t even see.

My cries of hunger and pain go unanswered,
No licks, no mews, not teat to suckle,
No siblings with which even to snuggle.
Cries of loneliness linger unanswered.

Oh wait what do I smell, it is coming so near.
I lie and tremble, knowing not what to do
Hunger finally over comes my fear, I cry out.
And feel a soft loving tongue, not unlike my mothers.

Washes, licks, mews, but her teat are all dry
I stumble toward the other scent, this one heavy and strong.
my legs is all bent, which makes it hard to walk.
This other scent, senses I have something wrong.

One sniff, and I cower before him,
His fur is coarse and stiff, not like my mommy.
Hers was soft and fluffy, like the one who licked me,
Not like this one who shuns me, and swats me away from him.

She is carrying me now, hang limp, don’t cry,
She is nice this one, not like him who trots at her side.
She lays me on stone, oh wait I smell food,
Not from her, but from a pile in a bowl.
She nudges me up to the bowl, I hear him growl,
Does she mean to give me his share, now I’m truly scared,
She growls back at him, and keeps nudging me to eat.
He gives way to her, know he needs her to eat.

I see her eat some, and give it a try,
It smells and taste good, but hurts my little teeth,
I’m not ready for dry. I know she is trying to help me,
But I’m thirsty, oh to be able to suckle a teat.

Suddenly, a new scent arrives on the wind,
Knowing that I can’t run, she carries me away.
I never saw what it was, and on her I don’t sense fear,
She pauses by a pond, pausing to show me how to drink.

Then carries me back to the woods,
And lets me lie by her side.
She is warm and soft, and licks the film from my eyes,
I begin to see what I smell, and let out a cry.

He is big and rough, with a stripped tawny hide,
He looks at me like he wants me to die.
He knows I’m not able to live in the wild,
Yet the older mommy, likes me right at her side.

During the night, mommy leaves to go hunt,
And as soon as she gone, he puts his mouth over me
I think I’m going to die, but instead he carries me away
Back to the food bowl, where he drops me to lay.


He leaves my side and goes up high, It’s either eat or die.
Before the sun comes up he noses me to see if I’m alive,
And then is gone, without even a lick good bye.
I know that when the food is gone I will die.

But I didn’t die, I’m alive and here with my family today
That two legged scent rescued me, fed and bathed me,
And are my Mommy and Daddy today. Then why do
I smell that scent, on him and my two best friends.

I can’t help myself as my fear and terror fill my brain,
I flatten my ears, and rare back to fight,
for I Know he is here to finish,
 what he didn’t do that night.

But all I see are friends around me,
Mommy, Daddy, Grandma, Tom, Pip, Dusty and Sweet Pea,
All looking very concerned about me.
Tom and Pip come to check on me, but they were by the smell

Wait the smell is gone, Daddy is back, his hand is clean,
My hackles come down,  no longer looking for something to fight.
I check all the others, yes the smell is gone, my home is clean,
I hope my sleeps not filled with bad dreams tonight.
Because Munchkin would much rather play than fight.

© January 12, 2014
All Rights Reserved
Richard D. Nurse
RDN



No comments:

Post a Comment